The wristwatch has evolved over many years and so any timepiece which can be worn on the wrist is categorised as a wristwatch. However with the leaps in modern technology, so that every mobile phone, laptop computer and tablet can give an accurate reading of the time why are people still buying and wearing wristwatches?
The simple answer is still convenience, as even a mobile phone has to be taken out of a pocket to see the time. Wristwatches are also used as a fashion accessory or jewellery to add a touch of luxury and complete an outfit.
The most wanted watches are considerably more reliable than more modern forms of technology as battery life can become a priority on a mobile phone, tablet or laptop computer.
Some models of watch now have a plethora of features including;
- Time and date
This can make them not only attractive on your wrist but highly functional pieces of equipment. The variety of watches is immense which gives those looking to choose a watch, a great selection for personal preference.
Most types of watch fall into one of two categories; a quartz watch or an automatic watch, however there are lots of different types of watches within these two groups.
How to choose a watch?
The first step to choosing a watch is to decide what it is you are looking for and what features you require. If you prefer a watch with timeless elegance then a vintage watch may be best suited to you. A vintage or antique watch can function for generations and while they do require some cleaning and maintenance, they can last for years. However if lots of gadgets and features are more your preference then you will be more suited to a more modern watch such as a digital watch which has lots of different modes and facilities but may not be as classic as an older watch.
There are several factors which can help in your selection, these include:
- Brand: Some people prefer specific brands or designers.
- Case Material: The most expensive watches usually use titanium, gold or other precious materials. Although these can be fantastic time pieces, they are also a stylish fashion accessory. The world’s most expensive watch was presented at the 2012 Baselworld. It is made by Hublot and is priced at five million dollars. The case is set with over 1000 hand-picked diamonds which equal over 100 carats. The watch itself is an automatic mechanical movement and it doesn’t have a whole host of gadgets or features.
- Colour: With the developments in modern technology, you can quite literally have a watch any colour of the rainbow.
- Movement: This is purely personal preference. Lower cost quartz watches are extremely accurate but even older less expensive automatic models can be interesting to watch the movement and they are based on historic traditions.
- Style: Are you looking for a futuristic style or a timeless classic?
- Complications: What gadgets and features are you looking for?
- Budget is also a consideration, and it is usually based on the blend of the above factors. For example although quartz watches tend to be cheaper, there are a number of very sophisticated models which are just as expensive as some automatic models.
There are some watches that can use either movement design and cover a number of budgets and styles. For example a chronograph watch can be automatic or quartz movement. The chronograph models feature a number of dials which can be used to show international time, day and month, stopwatches and alarms. The cost depends on the materials used and the sophistication of the model.
Most wanted watches
A famous example of the chronograph or chronometer watch is worn by James Bond in the 007 films. Although it will be unlikely to come equipped with all the gadgets “Q” installs for Bond, the actual model worn by the Daniel Craig Bond in the latest films is available for anyone to buy. That particular model is made by the Swiss company Omega and is made with a steel case and has a transparent case, so you can watch the internal movement.
So choosing a watch can be quite an involved process but it can reflect an element of your true personality or passions. Even nerd chic is reflected in the availability of watches such as the retro watch which is reminiscent of early nineteen eighty’s video and computer technology and available in a number of models to suit their owner’s style.
Despite the developments in technology and the personalisation of modern gadgets such as mobile phone apps and skins, the wrist watch remains the only true way to wear your timepiece with panache and style.
Incoming search terms:
- aboutreplicawatches com